Saturday, December 20, 2014

I will never apologise - Tshabalala goes down fighting

FORMER SABC board chairwoman Ellen Tshabalala is adamant she does not owe anyone an apology because she has done nothing wrong.


Tshabalala told Sowetan yesterday that her resignation was not a concession that she lied, but that it was due to pressure and to protect the public broadcaster. Furthermore, the controversy around her qualifications had brought too much pain to her and her family.
"There was too much pressure. I felt I needed to do other things for myself. My family decided I must quit and I also felt I needed to fight my own battle with the institution (Unisa) and carry on with my life.
"I have not and will not apologise. I have done nothing wrong, that's why I'm refusing to be entangled in this. I want to take Unisa to court and clear my name," said Tshabalala.
She felt aggrieved that she was labelled a liar.
"It takes a piece out of you. I really feel aggrieved how the South African media takes people to trial and say anything. It's highly disrespectful and a violation of my constitutional rights," she said.
Tshabalala said while she could not say she was leaving the public broadcaster in good hands, there were capable leaders to take forward what she had done since her appointment in October last year.
She said she would now focus on her businesses. "I didn't mushroom out of nowhere, I have other things," she said.
Tshabalala claimed she had neither spoken to President Jacob Zuma nor was she pressured by the ANC to resign.
She said she would never produce a single graduation picture to prove to the media that she was qualified because she didn't have any.
"I wasn't in any graduation. I was working ... doing other things. I chose not to go."
She hinted she would be speaking to Zuma about the conduct of Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande, who has been very vocal about the scandal surrounding her.
"Nzimande knows what he is aggrieved with, he knows his interests. I will report to my principals [who are responsible for appointments] what I think happened and see what he does about that," she said. Nzimande's wife, Phumelele Ntombela-Nzimande, lost her JOB as an SABC senior executive in 2012 during a restructuring process. She was among those who complained to the Public Protector about the broadcaster's chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng for fraudulently misrepresenting his qualifications.
Tshabalala's board however confirmed Motsoeneng's permanent appointment as COO.
nhlabathih@sowetan.co.za

The rise and mighty fall of a woman disgraced

  • JULY 18 2013: Interim SABC chairwoman Ellen Tshabalala applies for a position on the SABC board. On her CV, she claims she has a diploma in labour relations and a BCom degree from Unisa
  • July 23 2013: Tshabalala deposes an affidavit at Sandton police that her house was broken into and goods, including her certificates, were stolen
  • October 3 2013: President Jacob Zuma announces her as new SABC board chair
  • July 13 2014: City Press reports she lied to parliament about her qualifications
  • July 14 2014: The DA writes to communications committee chairwoman Joyce Moloi-Moropa to request an inquiry
  • August 11 2014: Tshabalala fails to meet the first deadline to produce copies of her qualifications to the portfolio committee on communications
  • September 23 2014: She is served with a notice to appear before a parliamentary inquiry on September 25
  • November 26 2014: It emerges she has extended SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng's powers in what is presumed to be moves to shield herself
  • October 23 2014: Tshabalala obtains an interdict to stop the inquiry on grounds that she would not get a fair hearing. The court dismisses her challenge
  • December 3 2014: She is found guilty of misconduct and lying under oath.
For more stories like this one, be sure to buy the Sowetan newspaper from Mondays to Fridays
Source: sowetanlive.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment

SENATORS ARGUE FIERCELY ABOUT SEATING ARRANGEMENT IN THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY

It is truly disheartening to observe the National Assembly engaging in heated arguments and misplaced priorities, particularly when the nati...